Thursday, October 8, 2009

Infusion Music

I am sitting on my perch in the infusion center, being serenaded by a guy energetically strumming his guitar, playing religious folk music while his wife (?) is being infused. He started out slowly, and quietly, but has now built up into a spiritual frenzy. In listening to a few of his songs I deduced they were religious tunes, but upon returning from my trip down the hall, I saw his hymnal on the little desk we all have in our infusion cubie. He is on my left. On my right is a little guy with his TV blaring. I am not sure which is less annoying.

The infusion center, compared to what I am used to, is actually pretty nice. The center takes one floor of an older converted office building on Chestnut Street which was recently renovated (used to be the Federal Reserve Bank building), so everything is new. It is a large open room surrounded by windows on all sides. It covers the entire floor – but is separated into two parts by the reception area, elevator lobby, check-out counter, and waiting room. I am generally in the more open of the two areas which is usually okay when it comes to noise level, but it can get pretty loud.

Cubes cover the perimeter, with two back-to-back rows of cubes in the center of the floor. On the other side of the floor (beyond the reception area), the cubes along one wall actually have doors, the opposite wall houses lab techs. Unfortunately, I have only been on that side twice and in one of the enclosed spaces. The regular cubes don't have any doors. They are fairly large, with chest high walls on three sides. Each cube has the “comfy” chair for the queen (or king as the case may be), a guest chair and a rolling chair for the attending. There is a little desk top, and each cube has a television. Each cube also comes with a curtain, which you can arrange to block the front opening, it just reduces the size of the cube.

I think the televisions are a nice idea, as sitting for five hours or more can be pretty boring – especially considering that most of the population doesn't read – not even a newspaper (although there is one older women who comes here alone and reads 4 newspapers a day). The problem is most people put the darn things on very loud (or so it sounds). How do you say something to someone who is experiencing a similar problem as you and getting similar drugs? I mean, the TV watcher is sitting in there by himself – having arrived around the same time I did. We've been here for 4 hours now, and who knows when we'll be sprung. At least I have my laptop, my iPod, book, newspaper, newspaper puzzles, and my Thierry (who is now getting my lunch). Really, what do I have to complain about!

No, I won't say anything to anyone, I'll just try going with the flow. But if the center ever sends me a survey, I will suggest that they either require headphones or ask people to keep the volume down.

I saw my doctor today. She told me that the cancer marker tests showed another reduction, we're down to 75 from a high of 400! Good news! She also gave me a script for the MRI, Pet and CT scans. (lunch break over, the music started again!). I am anxious! Can't help it.

However, I leave tomorrow for Denver with Lauren, Ann and Barbara (coming from SF) and am planning to have a great time. We are flying into much colder weather and in the middle of the Phillies-Rockies play-off series. Go Phils! Who knows, maybe we'll get to see them win in Denver – wouldn't that be nice - and celebrate at the bar in the hotel with them!!! Thierry leaves tonight for Baltimore, then onto Annapolis for the boat show. I think he'll have a great time, too!

It's been a great day – and going to be a glorious weekend – I'll write again Tuesday, unless of course, something really crazy happens....

1 comment:

Lisa Ruff said...

Someone's irritating, Lord. Kum-by-yah.