Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Final Chapter

Mary passed away Monday night at , surrounded by her family.  She died peacefully in my arms.

During the last two weeks the pains in her abdomen were getting more intense and she was feeling weaker every day.  On Sunday, May 22nd her friend Barbara drove her to her daughter’s baby shower.  I don’t know how she made it through the day as she was already feeling very ill.  On Monday she stayed in bed almost the entire day.  Early Tuesday morning she was feeling nauseous and light headed and at I took her to the emergency room at Jeff.  She was admitted right away.  Tests for signs of infection were negative.  It was the cancer that was taking its toll.  After talking to her oncologist she decided to stop all further treatments.  On Friday we moved her to the hospice of the University of Pennsylvania.  A nice, new facility with 20 rooms and friendly staff.  There she was kept comfortable.  She was ready.

Mary gave me the best 8 years of my life.  I miss her terribly.

Thierry


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thierry,

So so so very sorry. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to see Mary on Friday. I have never met someone who made me feel so good about myself the way Mary did. She was the best mentor and motivator I have ever met. I truly loved and respected her and will miss her greatly.

My deepest sympathy to you and Lauren as well as Mary's family.

I feel so lucky to be able to call Mary my friend.

Please know I am here for you if you need me. Love Colleen

Anonymous said...

A courageous and long battle by an amazing woman. It's heartbreaking to think of all the pain she endured. Our sincere condolences to Thierry, Lauren and the entire family.

Pam and Kurt T.

mmsp said...

Thierry,
Our deepest sympathy to you & Lauren.
Mary fought a tough fight with grace and dignity.
Sincerely,
Marcy & Michael P.

Anonymous said...

Thierry, I was so shocked to read your entry and so sad that you have lost such a wonderful partner and that Mary did not make it to see her grandchild. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Sincerely Terry x

Jennifer said...

Thierry,
I just checked this blog, and am crying about your loss.
Charlie joins me in send our sympathy.
Higs,
Jenny