Friday, December 10, 2010

I am well aware of the fact that it has been two weeks since I wrote my last blog. We had visitors from Holland last week (that is excuse number one). The second excuse is that I have had a hard time getting myself to type as I have been pretty negative lately and feel that anything I write will be a downer. As I type this, I am also thinking that that is the reason I started this in the first place. Not to wax political or philosophical, but to share how I feel, both mentally and physically as I go through this treatment. It seems that I get very down a few days after my treatment – which is usually around the same time the side effects kick in.

Well, I have decided to write something and keep it positive, this time! I may write again in a few days but don’t promise that it will be a happy, life is wonderful, piece.

As I mentioned above, our friends Jeannine and Carl visited us for the first time in our new home. I think 1993 was the last time they were in the US. They are a wonderful couple who are fun to hang with. They are also very independent, and didn’t hesitate to go off and spend time on their own. I think they timed their trip well, as the city is resplendent in its holiday attire.

We took a ride out to Longwood Gardens in the suburbs to visit the only horticultural center in the Philadelphia area with an indoor conservatory. Spread over 1,000 acres, the development of Longwood began in the 1930’s by a wealthy businessman, Pierre DuPont. It had been a long time since I had been there, and was pleased that Jeannine (and Carl) seemed to genuinely enjoy the surroundings.

The weather was really quite good while they were here, with only one day of rain. Timing was also good as I had chemo on Thursday during their visit. This meant that I actually felt close to being human for most of the week. We had dinner with my folks and dinner later in the week with our friends Lisa and Kirk. They got to experience a Macy’s Christmas sale and saw the incredible show in the lobby of the Comcast Center – a must see if any of you come to Philadelphia.

They left on Saturday, and we were sad to see them go, but thrilled that they took the time to visit.

This chemo treatment went much better than the last. I guess my feeling so poorly after my last treatment had to do with being ill the week of my treatment. I have actually worked quite a bit this week, but do crash pretty early in the evening.

Thierry and I will pick up our tree from my sister’s basement this weekend (it’s a fake!), and gradually begin to decorate for the holidays. Thierry doesn’t like to put the tree up until (at most) a week before Christmas. Thierry put lights on Curlew which we should be able to see from our window – but something went amiss – maybe we’ll have a picture in my next blog.

The big news – which brings me great joy – is that Lauren is pregnant! I have pictures of the ultra sound if anyone is interest. I decided I will begin to brag now as I am not sure how long I will be able to brag when s/he is born – which may be around July 15th.

We are looking forward to a busy week. I have much work to do and we leave Wednesday for New York. We are going to the Daily Show on Thursday, which was made possible by Mike. Hopefully the weather stays around freezing (unlike our trip three years ago when it was 0oF) so we can walk and enjoy the city.

Today was a pretty good day… I’m hanging in there.

1 comment: said...

sooo glad you are back with any kind of news although I am thrilled about Lauren and Mike. Your blogs keep us well informed without being intrusive which I believe is what you want and keep us from worrying. Just write - the good, the bad, the ugly. We are here for you.